This simple honey cookie recipe delivers! I love honey and often when a recipe lists honey in the title I’m disappointed, because the flavor of the honey doesn’t come through. No so in this case!
This honey cookie recipe is simple to make and is tender and chewy!
So… cookie recipes are some of my faves and this new honey cookie recipe is good.
Really good. Soft and chewy and if you love honey, the honey flavor really shines.
I made them for Rosh Hashanah, but they are a perfect Fall cookie.
The Jewish new year is all about honey in the sense that we always wish everyone a sweet new year.
It is traditional to eat apples and honey to celebrate and this year I decided these cookies would also be a great way to showcase honey.
Any type of good quality honey can be used as long as you like it.
I used a clover honey but I think an orange blossom honey or a wildflower honey would also be delish!
Here’s a fun honey sampler, in case you want to compare a few! Besides they make great gifts!
Love maple extract? Add that instead of vanilla extract and if pumpkin flavors are your jive, add in some of those, too!
This soft honey cookies recipe is very popular.
It may not be the prettiest cookie, but topped with some honey glaze, well, it kind of zhuzh’s them up.
(That’s a fun word, by the way! It means to improve in appearance by way of a slight adjustment!)
I do that a lot!
These delicious cookies are easy to make and would be perfect on any Christmas cookie platter or Thanksgiving table.
Because of the addition of honey, they stay moist and retain the chewy center for awhile.
How to Make this Honey Cookie Recipe:
In a large bowl begin by combining the sugar, brown sugar, butter, honey and vanilla.
Try to start with room temperature ingredients, because it makes it so much easier to mix.
You can use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, but a hand held mixer works also.
Now in a large measuring cup or a bowl, combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. You may want to drape a clean dishtowel over the mixer so the flour doesn’t fly everywhere.
Be sure to do this on low speed and add the flour in small intervals.
The hardest part about this easy recipe is that the cookie dough has to chill before rolling into dough balls.
I promise, these honey cookies are worth the wait.
Chill for about 30 minutes or up to 5 days before baking.
Form into tablespoon scoops and roll in white sugar if you like.
Or make cinnamon sugar!
I skipped this part and chose to drizzle with honey frosting.
The fun part about this cookie is that you can come up with so many variations.
Add chocolate chips and make honey chocolate chip cookies.
Dip in melted chocolate-white or dark for a pretty version of this perfect honey cookie.
Add in some gingerbread spices to make gingerbread cookies.
Divide up your cookie dough and make several varieties.
I made sure to sprinkle with coarse salt after I drizzled. If you love the flavor of salty and sweet together, don’t miss this!
This is a great recipe to zhuzh up!
Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for and store in an airtight container and they will last a good few days!
I don’t have that many containers so I always store my cookies in giant zip-lock bags!
Isn’t it amazing how a few simple ingredients can make such a delicious cookie?
Let me know how you make these cookies.
There are so many great options to zhuzh these up!
Need More Honey?
This simple cookie, loaded with honey flavor is moist and chewy and very adaptable to add-ins and flavors.
1 cup softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg room temperature preferred
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup coarse granulated sugar for rolling
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon milk
Coarse Salt (Optional)
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugars, honey, and vanilla extract and use an electric mixer to beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Add egg and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture to butter/honey mixture. Stir until completely combined and all of the flour mixture has been absorbed (scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are well-combined).
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes and up to 5 days.
- Once dough has nearly finished chilling, preheat your oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (alternatively you can bake cookies directly on an ungreased cookie sheet).
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and scoop by 1 Tablespoon-sized scoops. Roll into a smooth ball between your palms and then roll through coarse granulated sugar.
- Place cookies at least 2” apart on prepared baking sheet and transfer to 375F oven. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges of cookies are beginning to turn a light golden brown.
- While cookies are baking whisk together honey glaze if using.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 5-10 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- After cookies have cooled, drizzle with honey glaze and let cookies set until glaze has hardened. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
May frost with honey frosting glaze after cookies have cooled.
Thanks Sugar Spun Run for this great recipe.
Keywords: honey cookies, honey cookie recipe, honey cookies recipe