Shortbread Sugar Cookie Nuggets are almost a Mexican wedding cookie and almost shortbread. But truthfully they are tasty bites of sugary pecan laced butter dough that you can coat with your favorite sugar flavor!
When cookie season rolls along I’m always looking for new favorites to add to my old, treasured recipes. It’s not easy to do because everyone always wants the same cookies, which shows that apparently I’ve met their needs all these years. This year I found a few new ones and though they aren’t meant to replace the family faves, I do think that the neighbors will love them and of course I think you will love them too. Let’s make this week Sugar Week at This Is How I Cook. After all, most of us will attempt to bake and for sure we all love to eat.
4 Reasons to Make Shortbread Sugar Cookie Nuggets
Starting off the week I found a fun recipe for Shortbread Nuggets in Real Simple, and I’m guessing they put them in there because they are real simple!
- I love these buttery, crispy shortbread sugar cookie nuggets because they are so simple to make. No mixer required.
- They are fun to jazz up. Meaning feel free to toss these in any flavored sugar and if you keep reading, I’ll give you some ideas!
- These are great cookies for the wee ones to help with. They get to play with the dough and pretend it’s Play-Do!
- And last but not least, these shortbread nuggets make great gifts and are so easy to pack up. Just throw them in a mason jar and add a bow. Your neighbors will think you’ve outdone yourself.
Sugary Toppings for Shortbread Nuggets
These are just a few of the ideas I had so feel free to come up with your own. Let me know yours so I can try them out! In most cases I just combined powdered sugar with a bit of flavoring.
- Cinnamon and Powdered Sugar
- Instant Espresso and Powdered Sugar
- Nestle’s Quik and Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa and Powdered Sugar
- Coffee and Cocoa and Powdered Sugar = Mocha!!!!
- Citrus Zest and Powdered Sugar
- Licorice Powder and Powdered Sugar
- Finely chopped peppermint with Powdered Sugar
- Lavender with Powdered Sugar
- Earl Grey Tea and Powdered Sugar
I think my brain is now sufficiently fried…well after all those latkes last week, I guess it surely is. Yes, there are many more combinations out there, so let me know what you come up with. In the meantime stay with me, because I am attempting something I’ve never done before…I’m attempting to share something sugary with you each day this week. Lord Help Me!
My friend Sue from The View from Great Island has some great shortbread recipes, many of which I can’t wait to try. Try the above and if you want more variety head over there. In the meantime here are some of my oldies but goodies all wrapped up in one post. Everything from chocolate peanut butter no bake bars to peppermint crackles and shortbread cookie cut outs. All my oldies right here!
And one last note: Don’t forget these!
Please Pin and Share these Shortbread Nuggets!
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c or 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” pieces
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c finely chopped pecans (However if you want larger pieces there is no need to chop so finely)
1 t vanilla
3/4 t kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment or use a Silpat liner.
Using a mixer or a pair of hands, combine flor, butter, sugar, pecans, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl. Work dough until it becomes crumbly. Continue to work dough until it comes together when squeezed in your palm. (My dough required more butter to do this, so you may have to add 1 T of butter at a time until it is malleable.)
When dough is easily squeezed in your palm, break off bite sized pieces of dough and place on baking sheet. Bake until golden and dry, 16-18 minutes. (This really depends on how big your nuggets are, however this way some turn out crispier than others and that’s OK with me!)
Let cool until cool enough to handle and mix with powdered sugar using whatever combination you like. You can also leave them naked! Oh my! Cool completely before storing or packaging.
Adapted from Real Simple
Keywords: cookies, shortbread, shortbread nuggets, Christmas cookies, Food Gifts, Mexican Wedding Cookies