1 European Cucumber
2 T rice vinegar
Pinch of salt
1 t of sugar
1 t lemon grass paste (from a tube)
1 lb ground pork or chicken
2 T peanut or canola oil
1 medium onion, sliced into thin slivers
2 cloves minced garlic
1 T sugar
2 T fish sauce
1/2 to 1 t ground black pepper or more (You want to taste the contrast of garlic, sweet and pepper.)
Garnishes: Mint, Basil, Cilantro, Chopped Peanuts, Sriracha, Lime quarters
Steamed Rice or Rice Noodles for 4
- Slice cucumber into thin rounds. Combine rice vinegar, salt, sugar and lemon grass in a bowl. Add sliced cucumbers and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet until a drop of water dances on the surface and disappears. Add 2 T peanut or canola oil and toss in the onion and minced garlic.
- As soon as it is fragrant, add the ground pork and 1 T of sugar. Stir fry, tossing every few minutes for 10-15 minutes, until the pork has crisped into crispy browned bits.
- Take the wok or skillet off the heat and stir in fish sauce until completely absorbed. Stir in black pepper. Use a lot!
- Mix the cucumbers with liquid into the pork. Spoon over 1 cup of rice. Serve with garnishes and create your own favorite bowl.
Keywords: pork, Vietnamese recipe, noodle bowl, Vietnamese Caramelized Pork, Vietnamese recipes, Vietnamese pork, Lemongrass pork, Ground pork recipes, ground pork, Pork stir fry