Skillet Roast chicken from the Publican, can be made on the grill or in the oven. Juicy, lemony and full of garlic, oregano and smoked paprika, this chicken is succulent and ready to eat in about thirty minutes. (Not including time to marinate.)
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lbs)
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T piment d’Espelette or smoked paprika
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 1/2 T brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Wash and dry the chicken by running under cold water and then drying with a paper towel.
- This chicken will be a butterflied chicken. Follow these steps and it will be easy peasy! First remove wing tips at the first joint. Now turn the chicken upside down so the breast is on the cutting board. Holding on to the tail and using kitchen shears cut on one side of the spine from top to bottom. Repeat on the other side and proceed to remove the backbone.
- The bird should now be flat on the table and the legs should be pointing away. Make a small cut in the white cartilage that runs over the breastbone. Bend both halves of the chicken backward at the cut, which should make the breast bone pop through. Run your thumbs or index finger down both sides of the breastbone and pull to separate it from the meat. Pull the breast bone out or use your knife to loosen any remaining bone.
- Finally with the tip of your knife, make a slit along each thighbone to the knee joint. Use your fingers to move the flesh away from the bone and pull the bone out. (I skipped this step.)
- Season your chicken on both sides with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight. I didn’t have time for this overnight so I just let it sit for a few hours. However I have done this and it makes for a fine chicken.
- The next morning combine all marinade ingredients except the whole lemon) in bowl. Toss the chicken and marinade together and rub the marinade into the flesh. Let sit for at least 1 hour and up to 12. If sitting for more than 1 hour, place back in fridge. Remove chicken from fridge about 1 hour before cooking.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450. In a large ovenproof skillet add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Heat over high heat until the oil smokes. Place the chicken skin side down in the pan and turn heat down to medium. Cook until a gold crust forms, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven without flipping the chicken over and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Flip the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes more. Total time should be about 25 minutes. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes in the pan.
- To serve, slice chicken into 8 pieces. Pour escaped juices over chicken and squeeze the lemon over all. Serve over fries if you desire!
Times does not reflect marinating time.
Keywords: skillet roast chicken. roast chicken, Publican roast chicken, iron skillet roast chicken, skillet roasted chicken,