Thai chicken soup with coconut milk, peanut butter and pineapple is incredibly delicious. And incredibly fast to make!
- 1 T oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (sliced in thin strips which is best accomplished when the meat is partially frozen)
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1/2 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 1/4 c chicken stock
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 t lemon grass paste (I use the lemon grass that comes in a tube in the produce section.)
- 1–2 t fish sauce
3 T pineapple juice and reserve the chunks
- 2 T crunchy peanut butter
- 1 c thin dried egg noodles or rice noodles (cooked according to package directions)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 T cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 t sriracha
- Fried onions (out of the container or in freezer section at an oriental grocery)
- Chopped peanuts
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos (seeds in = spicy!)
Heat oil in a large-ish pot. Add garlic cloves and saute until light golden.
Add the chicken, turmeric, pepper, and red chili flakes to pot. Stir fry for a few minutes until chicken is almost cooked.
Add coconut milk, chicken stock, lime juice, lemon grass paste, fish sauce, and pineapple juice. Whisk in peanut butter.
Simmer for a few minutes. Soup can be made until this point.
To continue-Bring soup back to simmering. Add the cooked al dente egg noodles.
Before serving, stir in scallions and cilantro. Add sriracha to taste at table. More fish sauce can also be added if you like a saltier flavor.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with fried onions, cilantro, chopped peanuts, jalapenos, and small chunks of pineapple.
Keywords: thai chicken soup, thai chicken soup coconut, thai chicken soup noodles, thai chicken soup recipe