This easy shortbread made with maple syrup and brown sugar, is the perfect holiday cookie. Chilled in the fridge and then sliced and baked, this maple glazed cookie is a maple lover’s dream.
- 2 c soft butter
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 c real maple syrup
- 4 1/2 c unbleached flour
- Turbinado or Maple Sugar for sprinkling
- 2 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 t pure and real maple extract
- 3 T milk or more if needed
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter and brown sugar on medium high speed until smooth and light in color.
- Beat in egg yolk and maple syrup until combined.
- Add flour and stir in gently. Cover mixer with a towel and continue mixing until flour is beat in. (The towel prevents the flour from flying everywhere.)
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and roll into one log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment. Slice rounds about 1/2′ thick. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Take cookies off of sheet and let cool on wire rack.
- When cool these may be stored in a sealed container or a zip lock bag for up to 4 days. They may also be placed in the freezer.
- If you choose to glaze the cookies, combine the powdered sugar, maple extract and milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Dip each cookie into glaze and place on a wire rack until glaze hardens. Sprinkle with additional maple or turbinado sugar.
Keywords: shortbread recipe, maple cookies, best shortbread cookie recipe, shortbread recipe cookies, maple cookies recipe, slice and bake cookies