- 6 – 8 slices rye bread, TOASTED (The number of slices depends on the size of your pan and the bread. I used Oroweat Jewish rye and only needed 6 slices for 11 x 8 pan.)
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 8 oz Swiss cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c whole milk
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 12 ounces sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry (I used Trader Joe’s Persian Pickle)
- 2 T minced fresh chives or scallions
- 1/3 c mustard (optional) and Dill Pickle chips (optional)
- Spray or grease an 8 inch square pan or an 11×8 rectangle pan. Spread mustard on 1 side of slices of bread. This is optional though I did enjoy my sweet hot mustard in this! Arrange half of bread slices in one layer in prepared dish.
- Top slices of bread with half of the corned beef. Sprinkle corned beef with 2/3 c of the Swiss cheese. Repeat layer with the the rye bread , corned beef and 2/3 c Swiss cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Pour evenly over top of strata. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap , pressing it directly on top of the bread. Weigh strata down with heavy cans, wine bottles or even dried beans in a ziplock bag. Press so that it is weighted firmly and evenly. Refrigerate overnight and up to 24 hours.
- Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat to 325. Meanwhile let strata sit at room temperature for 20 minutes uncovered. Bake until edges and center are puffed and edges have pulled away from sides of pan; about 50 minutes. Rotate pan after 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Adjust oven rack to about 8 inches from broiler. Heat broiler to high. Sprinkle sauerkraut over top of strata, (at this point you can also throw on some dill pickle slices if you desire) then sprinkle with remaining 2/3 c of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted slightly from “One Pan Wonders” by America’s Test Kitchen
Keywords: strata, breakfast, breakfast casserole, overnight breakfast casserole, Reuben, corned beef strata, reuben strata recipe, reuben and rye strata, reuben casserole