Chicken Shawarma should always be in the fridge. Perfect on rice, in pitas, on salad…this lemony garlic pepper chicken is pretty awesome stuff!
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 c plus 1 T olive oil
- 6 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 t kosher salt
- 2 t fresh ground pepper
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 1 t ras el hanout (optional)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless thighs or breasts
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- For Garnishes: Hot Sauce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Scallions, Cilantro, Feta, Olives, Pine Nuts, Tahini, Hummus, Rice, Pita, Your choice!
- Prepare marinade for chicken by combining lemon juice, 1/2 c olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, ras el hanout and chicken in a large zip lock bag. Mix ingredients well and marinate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 425. Use the remaining tablespoon of oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the quartered onion to the chicken and marinade and toss to combine. Now spread the chicken and onion from the marinade and place on the sheet pan evenly. Reserve marinade.
- Method 1: Place in oven and roast until browned and cooked through about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to rest a few minutes then slice all of it into chunks or bits.
- Method 2: After oven roasting I took the thighs and breasts and placed them on a preheated high temperature grill for about 5-10 minutes to give them a smoky grilled taste. I also basted them with the reserved marinade.
- After removing from the grill I cut the chicken into chunks or you could slice into bits-your choice. Serve the chicken with your choice of garnishes.
Inspiration from New York Times
Keywords: chicken shawarma marinade, chicken shawarma recipes, chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma recipe, chicken shawarma sandwich, chicken shawarma sauce, chicken shawarma marinade,