This simple summer cake, loaded with fresh berries, jam and chocolate is perfect for breakfast and nice and light for dessert. Don’t forget the whipped cream!
- 6 T soft unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c plus 2 T sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 c skim milk
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 oz dark chocolate mega chips or a chopped bar (I chopped a Trader Joe’s dark chocolate bar)
- 1/2 c berry jam (your choice)
- 12 oz fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9″ deep dish pie plate or a 10″ spring form or cake pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing cup. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 c sugar until pale and fluffy with a mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and cream, and vanilla until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients gradually, beating until smooth. Stir in chocolate. Spread into prepared pan. Spread jam on top and swirl lightly into batter. Arrange your choice of berries on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 T of sugar on top.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 325. Bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter. I baked my cake for 65 minutes but yours may only take 50-60. Let cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and chocolate shavings. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Martha Stewart.
Keywords: summer cake, jam cake, berry cakes